Yoga for Writers: Body and Mind Generative 6 Week Zoom Workshop, February 20th, 2023
“Your practice is your laboratory.” -BKS Iyengar
The word yoga means to yolk: to harmonize body, mind, and spirit. What happens when we make the practice of writing a practice of yolking? What stories do our bodies tell when we quiet our brains enough to listen? Might breath affect creative clarity? Might movement invite words?
This six-week generative writing course will incorporate movement and meditation into creative practice. We will start each class with 45 minutes of guided yoga practice, followed by an hour and fifteen minutes of writing, discussion, and sharing. We will practice vinyasa, yin, and meditation. Together, we will explore how a yoga practice may inform, compliment, or agitate a writing practice. All levels of writers and yogis are welcome.
- Students will practice cultivating curiosity, not judgment towards their bodies, minds, spirits, and creative work.
- Students will learn how certain asanas and pranayamas might benefit their writing practice.
- Students will practice ways to release psychological blocks and invite creative flow.
- Students will have opportunities to share their work in a supportive, kind, and inspiring environment.
- Students will benefit from 6 weeks of intentional community, creative structure, and scheduled accountability